House flies are one of the biggest enemies of food industries and to all individuals. They can be irritating for us, but at times they can be a bit dangerous too. These tiny insects have the potential to affect our health and make us sick. This is better known to all those people working in the food industry.
All around the year, we can see these tiny insects entering our houses or at any restaurants that are open enough for them to travel to us. They are said to cause over 65 different diseases, which can cause a huge problem for all of us.
What are these house flies?
House flies originated in the Middle East and is said to be a member of the Muscidae family. They are mainly fed on human waste (mainly this food waste) which is their key food source.
Flies are said to be contaminated by 100 different pathogens as they travel which are the causes of human disease. So, as they fly from a contaminated place to a clean surface they can transfer these pathogens. Thus, flies play an important role in transferring infection.
One of the best ways to keep the flies away from your house is by installing these fly screens. They will let in some fresh air and keep these flies away from your house. Premier screens Ltd are one of the suppliers of these screens in the UK, who can also help you install them. They sell high-quality products from a good and reputable company.
What are the diseases carried by house flies?
The various diseases transmitted by these tiny insects include:
- E.coli: This can cause blood in the stool, diarrhoea, stomach cramps, vomiting, and fever. Etc.
- Anthrax: This bacterial infection affects the lungs, skin, and intestine. In the skin form, they can cause blisters on the skin, which can turn into painless ulcers with a black centre. If untreated they can turn fatal
- Food poisoning: This can cause fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach cramps, and loss of appetite
- Tularemia: This is called an ulcer granular, which is recognised by an ulcer near the affected area. This will turn into a swollen and red lymph gland in the armpit area.
- Conjunctivitis: This is a swelling caused by your conjunctiva, which is a transparent tissue in the inner area of your eyelid.
- Typhoid: This is transmitted by the Salmonella bacteria, which causes fever. This can spread through contaminated food and water.
How can you get this infection?
One of the common ways to get this infection is through contaminated food and water. Contamination means the fly must have regurgitated, urinated, defecated or landed on that particular food or water. It can also contaminate any utensil, cutlery or eating utensil.
You might also get that infection by a direct contact like touching the infected product and then touching your eyes, mouth or any open wounds.
How to protect against these house flies?
Some of the preventive measures include:
- Covering the food
- Clean up the food or liquid spillage
- Use dustbins with closed lids
- Clean up after your pet
If you are still facing problems with these flies, you can contact the professionals for advice and make use of targeted treatments for the same.