Technology is evolving and software engineering has been becoming more popular and competitive.
Hence, when it comes to making a career in software engineering, big tech companies like Amazon have always offered an ideal workplace environment to start a career path for many people.
Comprehending how to respond to Amazon interview coding questions by honing your core problem-solving skills is critical for landing a desirable offer. The majority of Amazon SDE interview questions consist of algorithms, system design, data structures, and engineering design skills.
As a result, software development engineers (SDE) are indeed an essential component of IT firms. As their role is critical, FAANG+(Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Alphabet and Apple) companies carry out extensive interview sessions to employ only the best.
To increase your chances of securing a job with a FAANG company, it is important for you to become familiar with the full interview process.
In this blog post, we are going to impart all the knowledge that you need to know about Amazon software development engineering interviews.
Also, stick to the post to get some tips and tricks for cracking coding interviews.
Amazon Software Development Interview Process
Your complete Amazon interview process will take place in 4 rounds including:
- HR round
- Online assessments
- Phone interview round
- On-site interview
The first step in the Amazon HR interview is to learn about your preferences and also why you are a suitable employee for the company.
Online Assessment Test
For interns and newer candidates, this assessment is usually part of the Amazon recruiting process. It is sometimes included for experienced candidates. The online assessment test includes the following sections:
- Logical Reasoning Round: This assessment is divided into two parts. First, you will be presented with various situations from the life of a software design engineer, and your responses will be analyzed. The second section would consist of 24 logical reasoning-based multiple-choice questions.
- Debugging Questions: You will be given 20 minutes to complete seven debugging questions. You can use C, Java, or C++ coding languages at your disposal to complete this assignment.
Telephonic Interview Round
You will be asked a series of technical and behavioral questions throughout this round of Amazon phone screening. The session lasts 45-60 minutes, and the hiring manager is mostly your prospective manager.
This is the most in-depth interview round, consisting of 4 to 6 rounds of 1 hour each. Some Amazon SDE interviews will test your coding knowledge during these rounds.
Important subjects To Cover
- Data structures
- Algorithms related to sorting
- Binary tree
- Object-oriented design
- Knowledge of operating systems.
- Have a good foundation in the programming language that you have selected.
Common Amazon Interview Coding Questions Asked
1. System Design Questions
Since Amazon has acquired a large client base, they are constantly on the lookout for software designers who can construct scalable systems. In this round, the following Amazon system design questions are frequently asked:
- Create an online service counters system.
- How do you design a parking lot payment system?
- Create a Link building system.
- How would you plan a warehouse system for our business?
2. Behavioral Questions
In contrast to other FAANG businesses, the responses to behavioral questions in the Amazon interview are much more important. The examples of common behavioral questions include:
- What did you learn when you took a risk but failed?
- What represents one of your original ideas?
- Please tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.
- How do you organize your time?
- Describe a situation in which you were forced to make a crucial decision without the approval of your boss.
3. Amazon Coding Interview Questions
Some of the most commonly asked Amazon interview questions revolve around data structure and algorithms in coding. Here are some examples of Amazon interview coding questions:
- Create a stack that supports push, top, and pop and can retrieve the smallest value in a fixed time.
- Construct a binary tree given a tree’s preorder and inorder traversal.
- Find a missing number in the given array; In this problem, you will be provided with an array of integers from 1 to n. You need to find the required missing numbers in the given array.
- Determine whether the binary tree given is a search binary tree.
Tips to crack Engineering interview
You can get through an Amazon interview successfully if you plan ahead of time and adhere to your strategy to crack an interview. Here are some pointers to get you started:
- Learn how to program in any programming language and develop a solid understanding of algorithms and data structures. Improve your knowledge of other computer subject areas. You can choose a language that seems easy to you. It is always better to focus on a single programming language rather than learning something in every language.
- Discover Amazon’s culture and leadership principles. In the behavioural round, you may be asked questions related to Amazon work culture and your work ethics to ensure that you are the right fit for the job. This is why it is of utmost importance to take a look into culture at Amazon.
- Solving problems allows you to practice SDE interviews. To boost your confidence, ask your peers to assist you with interview preparation. Take multiple mock tests at different levels of your preparation and analyse your performance with honesty. This will help you improve your logical reasoning and gain confidence while solving interview questions.
- Prepare your responses to the most frequently asked behavioral questions.
- Participate in almost 10-15 interview sessions with ex-interviewers to assess your strengths and weaknesses. If you do not know any ex-interviewers, you can also ask your peers or family members to help you practice interviews.
- Make sure to convey your reflections of Amazon’s leadership principles during the behavioral round. Also, make sure to give positive answers to the questions to portray a positive learner’s personality.
Improving your problem-solving and analytical abilities is the finest way of answering Amazon interview coding questions or cracking coding interview. This is best accomplished by categorizing problems based on particular patterns and implementing older trends and patterns to combat these new challenges.
Follow a strategic plan to practice and prepare for your interview and make sure to stick to it if you wish to clear your interview with ease.